For being tiny little pieces of paper, pore strips can cost a pretty penny. Some can even cost you over 50 cents, PER tiny piece of paper. Ours cost you basically nothing, and are stupidly easy to make. The only downside: they smell AWFUL. We aren’t going to sugar coat this one for you, gelatin has a pretty pungent odor, and when you mix it with milk, and then add heat, well…it’s just bad. We tried a few variations, and you can make the one that suits your gag reflex.
Here’s what you’ll need:
- 1 tsp gelatin
- 1.5 tsp milk or water
- a few drops tea tree oil (to combat the stank, and to add a lovely tingly antiseptic feeling that is great for acne prone skin)
- parchment or regular ol’ paper (if you would like to make your own strips)
Here’s what you’ll do:
- Mix together gelatin and milk (or water), if using tea tree oil add a little less liquid and add tea tree oil before heating
- Heat in microwave for 15 seconds
- Slather it on wherever you desire clean pores, let dry and peel off. You can also spread in on parchment or regular paper, cut into strips and apply to face.
After trying a few variations there are a few things we know for sure: the mixture with just the gelatin and milk worked the best. We don’t know if it’s the lactic acid or an embodiment of the phrase “pain is beauty”, but that one really works. The water mixture works fine as well, and anything with the tea tree oil was just better smelling and fresher feeling. The nice thing is, this is so cheep to make in tiny little batches that you can experiment with what works for you.
Let us know if you come up with any variations that you like! Or if you somehow find a way to extract the funk. Happy peeling!
-Cristiana & Ashlee